Who is it for?
Developed in collaboration with South London and Maudsley, Barnet, Emfield and Harringate, and Camden and Islington NHS Trusts, the course ‘Interpreting for Mental Health Encounters’ is designed for linguists providing telephone or face to face interpreting for the NHS mental health Trusts. It provides a thorough overview of what you will need to be aware of to provide interpreting for these assignments.
What job is this course applicable to?
- Freelance face to face Interpreter
- Freelance Telephone (Over the Phone) Interpreter
Working with clients such as:
- NHS Trusts
In this role, you could earn between £30 and £60 per hour
When can I start?
You can start the course today.
What is the cost?
The course has been paid for by thebigword, so it is free to linguists.
How long does it take?
The average length of time taken is 2 hours.
Are there any requirements?
You will require is an internet connection and basic computer skills.
What will I learn?
Introduces mental health, explains the different types and their treatments, covers situations which you may interpret in and explains your role and responsibilities.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Describe what mental health is
- List some common types of mental illness and their treatments
- Explain some common myths attached to mental health
- Explain the interpreter’s role in a mental health situation
- Describe how mental health interpreting differs from other interpreting
- Recognise the triangle of communication
- Prepare for before, during and after the mental health interview
- List vocabulary used in a mental health situation
How will you assess me?
The Interpreting for Mental Health Encounters course has a knowledge review at the end of the course to check what you have learned. You can revisit part or all of the course at any time once you have completed it.
What will I get?
Once you have completed the course you will be able to download a certificate of achievement.
How do I get started?
Click on the ‘register/login’ link to begin and either register and set up a new account or login if you have an existing account with us.