What are the benefits?
The benefits of the qualification include:
- Nationally recognised qualification, regulated and accredited by Ofqual
- Meets the National Register of Public Service interpreters (NRPSI) requirements for Full status
- Recognised and accepted by the Ministry of Justice
- Access to the best paid interpreter assignments
- Use the title ‘DCI’ after your name
- Professional membership with the International School of Linguists
- Exemptions for part DPSI or DPI qualifications
When can I start? You can start the process today by completing the sign up process, including completing an application form and English tests. Once completed, you could start the qualification within hours.
How long does it take? This qualification at Level 6 takes between 260 and 435 guided learning hours in total. The average length of time taken is 6-12 months.
Are there any requirements? To successfully join this course, you need to have native speaker competence in English and in your ‘other’ language. (NOTE: This will be tested as part of the application process and throughout the course, you do not need to have an English qualification to apply.)
What do i need to be able to complete this course?
- Access to a solid internet connection
- A Skype account
- Access to a desktop computer or laptop. (Skype assessments and the course content don’t work on smart devices such as iPhone)
- A webcam
- A microphone/sound card for the computer, if it isn’t already installed
- Any of the following Internet Browsers: Firefox 2.0 and higher, IE 5.5 and higher, Safari 1.0 and higher or Google Chrome (all versions)
How many credits is the qualification worth? A minimum of 40 credits is required to pass the qualification.
What will I study? The course is made up of the following Units and **:
Mandatory Units (students must complete all of the units below)
- Consecutive Interpreting
- Simultaneous Interpreting
- Sight Translation
- Ethics for Interpreters
- Continuous Professional Development for Interpreters
- Interpreting Technology
Optional Knowledge Units (students must complete 2 of the units below)
- Interpreting in Court Settings
- Interpreting in Police Settings
- Interpreting in Health Settings
- Interpreting in Business Settings
- Interpreting in Education Settings
- Interpreting in Social Services
- Interpreting in Local Government
- Interpret Consecutively and Simultaneously in Specialist Settings
- Support Interpreting Through Sight Translations in Specialist Settings
Optional Specialist Skills Units (students must complete a minimum of the 2 units below)
- Specialisation: Interpreting in Mental Health
- Specialisation: Interpreting in the Prison/Probation Service
- Specialisation: Interpreting for Expert Witnesses in Court
- Welfare and Stress Management Skills for Interpreters
- Mentoring Skills for Interpreters
- Supporting Interpreting Through Draft Written Translations From and Into English
- Interpreting in a Financial Setting
**All of the units above can be studied as individual, stand alone courses. The cost for each module done individually including assessment is £300 +VAT.
What support will I have?
- Personalised Individual Learning Plan
- Career Guidance
- High quality course online course materials
- Optional one-to-one mentoring support via phone, email and online
- Access to regular webinars and workshops
- 24-hour access to our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
- Guidance and support from your assigned, qualified Assessor
How will you assess me? The Level 6 Certificate in Community Interpreting is a vocational qualification, which means that you will be assessed by demonstrating your ability to do the job through various assignments including:
- Consecutive Interpreting to and from English in your specialist environments.
- Simultaneous Interpreting to and from English in your specialist environments.
- Sight translation to and from English in your specialist environments.
- Written translation to and from English in your specialist environments.
Can I apply for funding or discounts? To make our qualifications as accessible as possible, all of our students can choose to pay by interest free instalments, meaning you can earn as you learn. For information on funding and discounts, please click here.
How do I apply? You can get started with your qualification today by completing the contact form below. One of our team of experts will call you back to give you further details and tell you what is next.
- 30 day money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied
- Course Fee: £1434 (incl. VAT, assessment and accredited certificate) (payable by instalments).
- Distance and Blended Learning
- Approx 9 months to complete
- Accredited Qualification
- 2 Free ISL CPD courses (non-accredited)
- Free access to ISL ‘How to run a Successful Freelance Business’ suite of courses worth £160
*reading list also needs to be obtained
Is this a nationally recognised qualification? Yes, the Level 6 course is accredited by Training Qualifications UK (TQUK) and registered on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) with Ofqual. The Qualification Accreditation Number (QAN) is 601/8645/8.
What is the registration process? At ISL, we want to be confident that everyone who is accepted onto our qualification has the right skill, knowledge and ability to be able to successfully complete the learning experience. There are also certain things we need to do to be able to register you onto a nationally recognised qualification. The first step in the process is to reserve your place, by completing the sign up form here. You will then be asked to complete the full application process. If you have questions about the course that are not answered above, please consult our list of FAQ’s by clicking here.
Are you a student with ISL? Apply for a NUS extra card here.